Every year, many Canadians are affected by the gastroenteritis. Although the gastro is benign, it is nonetheless very unpleasant… Don’t delay, discover our natural solutions to soothe the gastro, and recover quickly!
What is gastroenteritis?
Gastroenteritis is an infection of the digestive system caused by a virus, a bacteria or a parasite. Most of the time these viruses are responsible for this infection. The noroviruses (in adults), and the rotavirus (in children).
This virus develops particularly in fall and winter, causing peaks of gastro during this time of the year.
Gastroenteritis is benign, but extremely contagious. It is transmitted mainly through contact of objects or contaminated people (directly or indirectly) or by breathing in the virus that is present in the air.
We can all be affected by the gastro, children and adults. However, be particularly vigilant if the gastro is contracted by a child younger than 2 years, the elderly, pregnant women, or by a person with a chronic illness.
Symptoms of Gastroenteritis
Gastroenteritis can be easily recognized by its symptoms and time of year it appears. Symptoms are:
- Repeated diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
Other symptoms can appear like: light fever, headaches or muscular pain.
These symptoms last 1 to 3 days. The affected person is contagious during the whole time of the gastro, and the following the days after.
If symptoms do not go away after 3 days, and they get worse, or if other symptoms appear, the Quebec Government highly recommends that you quickly consult a doctor or call Info-Sante at 811.
Natural solutions against gastroenteritis
Several measures need to be put in place to avoid contracting gastroenteritis, including:
- Wash your hands to avoid contamination
- Disinfect all infected surfaces: telephones, remote controls, bathrooms, children’s toys, etc.
- Avoid contact with infected persons
- Do not share personal effects (foods, blankets, towels…)
If you have the gastroenteritis, many solutions can help soothe the symptoms and recover:
- Drink lots of liquid: the main risk of gastroenteritis is dehydration. It is absolutely necessary to drink lots of fluid during symptoms (water, herbal teas, broth…).
- Green Clay: clay is known for its anti-diarrhea properties. It captures the toxins and promotes the proper function of the digestive system. Dilute a teaspoon of Green Clay in a glass of water, let stand then drink the clear part of the liquid.
- Eat Well: In case of gastroenteritis, avoid foods that are raw, acidic, or rich in fiber and fats. Instead opt for rice, cooked vegetables, eggs or bread, as suggested by the Quebec Government.
- Natural remedies: natural remedies can help soothe digestive disorders related to gastroenteritis. Among them, Vaccinium Vitis-Idaea (Lingonberry), known for its action to regulate intestinal transit. To calm abdominal pains and cramps, our complex Diarrhea H107 is highly recommended.
- Probiotics: probiotics are a good boost to restore the intestinal flora damaged by gastroenteritis. Do not hesitate to do a cure after the gastroenteritis.
By applying these simple and natural measures, you are putting the odds in your favor to avoid or soothe gastroenteritis!