Spring cleaning season is here, which means it’s time to air out and purify your home!
This year, we recommend doing it the natural way while minimizing waste.
How? With essential oils!
What are essential oils?
Mistakenly called oils, essential oils are actually ultra concentrated plant extracts. They don’t contain any fat and they retain all their olfactory properties. Beyond their sweet scent, each essential oil has its own therapeutic benefits. The perfect solution to clean and purify your home, naturally.
Here are four of our favourite essential oils to purify your interior naturally and effectively:
With countless properties and benefits, lavender is the multitasking handyman of any home!
Best known for its ability to promote sleep and relaxation, it’s also a great insect repellant. Plus it has antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. Ideal in spring, summer, autumn and winter, it has a use for every season!
How to use it:
- Mix 1 drop of Essencia True Lavender essential oil and 1 drop of Essencia Lemon essential oil into a little baking soda. Pop it in your fridge and say goodbye to bad odours!
- Pop a few drops on a piece of fabric and leave it in your drawer or closet to keep your linens smelling fresh and to keep the moths away!
- Add a few drops in a diffuser to sanitize and perfume the air in your home.
Essencia Lemon essential oil also has bacterial, antiseptic and deodorizing properties, perfect for sanitizing both surfaces and the air.
It’s an inexpensive and effective way to leave your home smelling clean and fresh.
Here’s how to use it:
- Mix 10 drops with ½ a cup of warm water and ½ a cup of white vinegar and voila! You have an all-in-one cleaner, degreaser and antibacterial for all your surfaces.
- Add a few drops in a diffuser to sanitize and perfume the air. (Tip: mix in a few drops of lavender for a relaxing summer scent).
In addition to sanitizing and deodorizing, tea tree oil helps to eliminate fungi and bacteria. It also does a great job of keeping moths and dust mites at bay. Plus its resinous scent is refreshing and energizing.
How to use it:
- Mix 2 drops of Essencia Tea Tree essential oil with 2 tbsp of baking soda. Sprinkle the mixture on your carpets and rugs to sanitize them and keep dust mites away. Leave on for a few minutes to do its job then vacuum it up.
- Pour 1 drop onto an old toothbrush to clean hard to reach spots in your bathroom or fridge.
- Mix 3 drops with 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of water. Pour into a spray bottle and use it to clean your bed and surfaces.
Meet the essential oils for colds!
With its antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-infection properties, narrow-leaf eucalyptus is a great remedy for colds, rhinitis and sinusitis. When it’s diffused, it helps relieve the respiratory tract and sooth symptoms of asthma.
How to use it:
- Mix 2 drops of Essencia Narrow-Leaf Eucalyptus essential oil with 1 tbsp of black soap in a bucket of hot water and use it to clean your floors.
- Add 3 drops to your bathroom and toilet cleaner to disinfect the bathroom.
- Add 3 drops to a cotton ball and pop it in your vacuum cleaner bag to sanitize it and get rid of bad odours.
Have fun trying them out for yourself!