It’s difficult to see our babies cry for hours without being able to relieve them! However, most infants are affected by colic. Here we will help you to better understand your little one, to help him or her get through this difficult period…
What is infant colic?
Infant colic refers to periods of intense crying, often accompanied by abdominal pain. These pains are generally associated with a swollen belly, gas, intestinal spasms and digestive disorders.
Colic is common in babies, as their digestive systems are not yet fully developed.
We talk about “infant colic” when baby cries at least 3 hours a day, 3 days a week, and for more than a week. According to the Canadian Pediatric Society, these colics are an integral part of a child’s development.
These crying attacks generally occur between the 3rd and 8th week of life, and end around the 4th month. So far, health care professionals have not found the exact causes of these colicky conditions.
How do you get colic?
Infant colic often occurs at the end of the day. Crying can be accompanied by:
- Stomach cramps
- Gas, belching and nausea
- Intestinal spasms
- Agitation: clenched hands, squirming baby, flushed face…
If no other symptoms appear, these colics are a normal phase in a child’s development. It is not a disease and they go away on their own.
Even though colic is mild and normal, it can be difficult for parents and babies to bear. Do not hesitate to seek outside help (friends, family, health professionals …) to help you get through this period calmly.
Use plants to naturally soothe colic
Plants are natural and can help to soothe baby’s colic. Among those that can have a beneficial effect on restlessness and pain, we can notably mention:
- Colocynthis: facilitates intestinal transit to help your child get rid of gas
- Chamomilla: soothes spasms and inflammation of the intestine, soothes pain and anxiety
- Dioscorea: acts against spasms and nausea, to relieve pain
At Homeocan, we have combined these 3 ingredients to create a natural remedy: Colic Oral Solution. Designed for infants, this solution will help baby calm down and relieve any pain associated with colic.
To benefit from this solution, give your child 15 drops every 15 minutes during attacks. With its pleasant raspberry taste and integrated dropper, using the remedy is simple, even for an agitated baby!
Our simple tips against intestinal colic
In addition to Colic Oral Solution, other simple tips can help soothe baby:
- Verify what other problem can be causing the crying (diaper to change, hunger, cold …)
- Cuddle your little one, rock your baby in your arms, shower them with kisses … Show him that you are there for him or her
- Turn off the lights and create a calm environment
- Walk your baby in his stroller or in your arms
- Breastfeed baby or offer him a pacifier
- Give your baby a warm bath
- Give baby a soft abdominal massage, turning your fingers clockwise, gently towards his or her tummy
Thanks to Colic Oral Solution and to these simple tips, you are putting all the chances on your side to soothe baby, naturally.