To relieve a toothache, it’s important to understand what is at the root of the discomfort. Indeed, the remedies to be applied won’t be the same if it’s a canker sore, a cavity, or an inflammation of the gums. By knowing the cause, you will be able to determine how best to relieve your toothache.
1. Clove essential oil
Clove Pure Essential Oil is an excellent natural remedy for tooth pain relief. It is used in aromatherapy to treat cavities and oral diseases. It is composed of eugenol, a natural antiseptic and painkiller, which makes it an effective treatment that provides fast relief.
- To relieve a canker sore or cavity, you can put a drop of Clove Pure Essential Oil with a bit of Argan Oil on a cotton swab and gently massage the painful area.
- To purify your mouth, you can also gargle by diluting a drop of Clove Essential Oil in a glass of warm water.
2. Borax (in granules or as a liquid solution)
Borax, or sodium borate, is an excellent remedy to relieve toothaches quickly. In case of pain caused by canker sores, borax is highly effective thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Borax can be taken in the form of granules (3 granules every two hours, for the first 6 to 12 hours, until the pain is relieved) or as a liquid solution.
3. Calendula Officinalis mother tincture
Calendula Officinalis is full of valuable properties for relieving many ailments, including oral problems. A mother tincture is a hydro-alcoholic solution made from a mixture of fresh plants and alcohol. Thanks to its cleansing, anti-bacterial, and healing action, it is particularly effective at soothing inflammation and relieving tooth pain.
- To soothe inflammation in case of canker sores, use Calendula Officinalis as a local application with a cotton swab or as a mouthwash (20 drops of mother tincture in half a glass of water).
Here is an old-fashioned remedy that is particularly effective at relieving toothaches. Garlic has been recognized and used for generations for its medicinal properties. It helps kill the harmful bacteria that cause dental plaque and acts as a painkiller.
- You can create a paste by crushing a clove of garlic and applying it to the sensitive area.
5. Peppermint essential oil
Essencia Peppermint Pure Essential Oil is also an effective way to relieve toothaches thanks to its disinfecting and analgesic action.
- Mix 1 or 2 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil in some toothpaste, then apply the paste to the painful tooth and the gums.
Consult a dentist if the pain persists
While these natural remedies help effectively reduce certain types of tooth pain, more serious toothaches may require the intervention of a dentist. If your symptoms persist for more than two days, consult a dentist or healthcare professional.